Thursday 25 November 2010

NOVEMBER 2010

What a big lapse of time!
Most of August, I spent taking my six year old granddaughter, Awen, on various visits to interesting Anglesey sites. This is one I took of her by Tŷ Newydd Cromlech, Llanfaelog.



To my disappointment, things have really been on a back burner as far as producing the replicas. This is due to the fact that The Friends of The Oriel decided to fold up. All the funding that I’d collected under their title was then passed on to the Oriel itself.

Pat West, the Principal, has put it in an account called Llyn Cerrig Bach and thankfully has ring fenced it. However, Pat is a busy person and finds it very hard to slot time to get the replicas made. She has promised that come the new year she will get their production in motion.
Our diving friends from the States came over in September. They phoned me to say that their time was so limited, that they wouldn’t be diving in Llyn Cerrig Bach this year. They had been called to an important meeting in London with the National Geographical Society.



Alan and I paid our usual visit to the National museum whilst in Cardiff. We were given such a warm and enthusiastic welcome by three of the most prominent staff in the archaeology department, namely Adam Gwilt, Curator - Later Prehistory, Mark Lodwick, Portable Antiquities Finds Co-ordinator and Tony Daly, Archaeology Department Illustrator. We spent a good hour together discussing various queries on aspects I needed guidance on regarding my present involvement with Llyn Cerrig Bach.



Tony Daly then invited Alan and myself to his graphics studio and showed us various techniques he used to produce his illustrations. Alan, being an artist in his leisure time, was enthralled with it all. Before I left, he presented me with a complete set of the drawings he made of Llyn Cerrig Bach artefacts ( A2 sheets ). He also gave me a copy on my memory stick of his depiction of a votive ceremony taking place on the banks of Llyn Cerrig Bach,for me to include in my future Powerpoint presentations. (This has gradually climbed to 105 slides by now. Thankfully, I have a shorter version for schools!)

Another good friend, Ken Brassil, the museum Education Officer then appeared with a group of school children. He is a font of knowledge on the history of Llyn Cerrig Bach and I have been observing him working with various Anglesey schools, as you will note from my previous blog entries. He also appears on the DVD “Megalithic Anglesey” explaining the significance of the find, whilst leaning on a cabinet full of artefacts from the lake. These are on display at the Origins exhibition in the museum.

( Forgive the large text and left aligment. I failed completely to locate any Font or Centre icon this time sorry!)