Sunday 21 March 2010

FEBRUARY 2010



Here I am again, writing for February, having missed a month !


During February, I decided to put into print, the story of my life and got as far as the age of 22. This is mainly for the benefit of my children and grandchildren so that they can have an insight into how it was when I was I was growing up during the war. It has been quite time consuming, but the family are very appreciative of what I have achieved. I have tried to include photographs on each page and a few anecdotes here and there. I also went to our local Archive office in Llangefni and gleaned a wealth of info. from Rhosneigr Primary School Log book, where I was a pupil.


It has certainly been a worthwhile activity to get engrossed in during the very cold weather. I was lucky not to have to go out and battle the elements like the younger generations in my family –one of the many benefits of being retired!



This is a picture of my cousin, Ken and myself, with out Aunty Vera and Susie, the dog, at our grandparents' house, Cae Gwyn, Llanfaelog around 1938. I hope I didn't managed to strangle the cat whilst I was so engrossed in what Ken was studing!

Rhosneigr Primary School 1947.

We were well trained in those days - feet and arms crossed front row, other rows, hands behind your backs, including the Headmaster Mr.Ifor.H.Roberts!

I am centre front, with Cassie, my best friend in childhood to the left.


( each row – read left to right, starting at the top )

Idwal Parry, Gwyfa. Llanfaelog. Gordon Owen, Galtymor, Rehoboth. Raymond Morris, The Bungalow, Llanfaelog. Henry Roberts, Crossing.

Hywel Williams, Trewyn Bach. Griffith Roberts, Station House. Tommy Rowlands,

Ynys Fôr, High St. Rhosneigr.

David Owen, Bodelwa. Tŷ Croes. Iola Price, Hafodol. Pat Pritchard. Hillcrest. Marie Burgess, Dune Edge Warren Rd. Dilys Creely, Lucerne, Station Rd. Enid Rees, Penmorfa. John Jenkins, Crafnant – all from Rhosneigr

Glenys Morris, Bronallt. Mair Lewis, Tŷ Mawr. Cassie Thomas, 10 Rehoboth Terrace.

Evelyn Roberts, 5 Rehoboth Terrace, Beryl Williams, Rockfield, Rehoboth. Ann Owen, Bodelwa. Betty Parry, Gwyfa. – all from Llanfaelog area.


A year ago, I did produce a similar folder for Rhosneigr Primary School's centenary, about my childhood during the war. Rhosneigr school has been given a copy as has The Holyhead Maritime Museum for their Air Raid Shelter, also Oriel Ynys Môn. My copy will be on display and for perusal in Oriel Ynys Môn at their next exhibition, from 3 July - 24 Decemberunder the title of " Anglesey 1939 -1945.


As you can see, I've been much to busy printing all these, so haven't had time to write a blog also - excuse again!.