Sunday 24 January 2010

January 2010

This week the press jumped on the fact that someone had said that Anglesey wanted all the Llyn Cerrig Bach artefacts back permanently in Oriel Ynys Môn from the National Museum in Cardiff. Their reasoning for this was because an expansive gallery, with the required safety and humidity conditions, had been built there for the Kyffin Williams Art collection.

I was approached by both press and the Welsh radio, as to whether I agreed with this statement. I explained that having worked closely for years with Oriel Mon principal and the staff of the Archaeology department at the National Museum, I am aware of how the items needed to be on display at our National Museum as people even from around the world.

However, I am fully in support in having part of the collection sent here on display, as they have done so over a number of years. Alun Gruffydd and myself negotiated for a large display to come up for the millennium. It is now up to the present principal to organise a display to fit in with her planned programme. I have suggested for a number of years that it would be a good idea in having displays perhaps on a rotation basis.

The most important endeavour for me at the moment, is to get the remaining funding required to produce the handling collection of the main items of the artefacts. They would be so beneficial for Ynys Môn school children. I have already been promised personally 50% of the necessary £7,600 and have an application under consideration by Medrwn Môn for the other half. I await their decision daily! When I finally have the money, then Pat West, the present Oriel Principal and I will work together to make sure that everything is produced to the highest standard. There will be an information pack produced to accompany the replicas.